the 2016 athlete violence against women count
Here is a list of athletes who have been arrested and/or charged with violent acts against women, including domestic violence, assault, battery, sexual assault, and rape in 2016. To qualify, the athlete must be a current participant in the NBA, WNBA, NFL, NHL, NBA, PGA Tour, U.S. Olympics, NCAA, or NASCAR.
[I am just putting together this page. Let me know if the list is missing anyone!]
1/30/2016: Johnny Manziel
- Manziel's former girlfriend accused him of striking her so hard that she temporarily lost her hearing in one ear after they left a Dallas bar.
- The Cleveland Browns released him in March. A grand jury indicted him on a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in April. The NFL suspended him for four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy & supposedly had nothing to do with his pending legal matters. Currently unresolved.
1/30/2016: Eli Jenkins
2/5/2016: Montee Ball
- Ball allegedly struck his girlfriend in the face & threw her on a table. He was accused of disorderly conduct & felony battery. This is the second time he has been charged with domestic violence.
- The New England Patriots released him the following week. Two months later he was arrested again for felony bail jumping while drinking alcohol. Currently unresolved.
3/13/2016: Nathaniel Robbins
- Robbins was arrested after an alleged domestic dispute with his girlfriend where "Robbins began to grab her and throw her around the room, grabbing her throat several times and attempting to choke her."
- The University of Colorado Football program suspended him indefinitely.
3/13/2016: Branden Dawson
- Dawson was arrested with suspicion of felony domestic violence but not charged.
- The Los Angeles Clippers did not play him for three weeks while the legal process played out.
4/13/2016: Hector Olivera
- Olivera was arrested and charged with assault and battery of a woman.
- The Atlanta Braves placed him on leave immediately following the domestic violence incident. The MLB suspended him until August 1 (i.e., 82 games when applied from the date he decided not to appeal, April 30) without pay for violating the new league off-field personal conduct policy. Currently unresolved. His adjudicatory hearing is scheduled for July 11.
5/30/2016: Darren Collison
- Collison was arrested & charged with felony domestic violence inflicting corporal injury on his wife.
- Currently unresolved. His next court date is scheduled for July 11.
6/19/2016: Dan Skuta
- Skuta was arrested for misdemeanor battery, accused of pushing a woman's face with an open hand after she refused to give him her phone number in Orlando.
- Currently unresolved. His next court date is scheduled for July 22.